Kentucky is known as one of the best places in the U.S. for admiring bright fall foliage. This is due to the amount of forests in our state, which comes in at an astounding 12 million acres or 47 percent of our land area covered in beautiful trees. There are about 175 tree species here and many of those are hardwoods known for their fall foliage color change. Thankfully, some of the best spots for leaf viewing are near Bardstown KY.
You’ll find some of the best fall foliage along our winding country roads, from the windows of a vintage train car, or strolling though the grounds of historical landmarks. As you’ll likely be heading out to visit the fantastic bourbon distilleries while in Bardstown (it’s what put us on the map after all), Fall is one of the best times for scenic drives to these locations. The brilliant sugar maples turn bright oranges hues, poplars to yellow and gold, and oaks to bright red.
The grounds of our historic Bardstown Bed and Breakfast has some gorgeous hardwood trees that put on a show come fall. As a guest here, all areas are open for strolling, picnics, and relaxing as you see fit. Be sure join us in the afternoon for happy hour for one of our favorite bourbon cocktails—the best way to kick off the afternoon on a vacation to Bardstown KY. Start planning your next trip while the fall foliage is awash in color and book your room today!
Our Favorite Things to do in Bardstown KY
The striking backdrop of colorful fall foliage all over town makes this time of year in Kentucky feel magical. There are so many things to do in Bardstown in autumn, we thought we could narrow down the options for you. From dinner trains and elegant bars and restaurants to bourbon tasting and historical tours, there’s no shortage of activities on any stay in Bardstown KY.
Here are our top seven things to do in Bardstown this autumn while the stunning fall foliage is in full effect:
- My Kentucky Dinner Train: Always a favorite experience for locals and visitors alike, dining in a vintage train car as it cruises through the scenic Kentucky countryside and the forests alight with bright fall foliage, is by far one of the best things to do in Bardstown in the autumn. Another plus, the train depot is only about five minutes on foot from our Bardstown Bed and Breakfast. Book your ride ahead of time, here.
- Distillery Tours on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail: Bourbon was born here in Bardstown KY, so of course there are an amazing amount of fantastic distilleries with talented makers who are eager to share. The Kentucky Bourbon Trail offers multiple routes to the surrounding distilleries of the area. At our Bardstown Bed and Breakfast we have a host of add-on packages for help with planning and transportation for whiskey tours.
- Dining Out on the Town: Bardstown is blessed with talented chefs and people that take food seriously. You can find every cuisine here, from home-style country cooking to international delights. For a full list of our recommendations, check this list of our top 10 Bardstown restaurants.
- My Old Kentucky Home: The grounds surrounding this 200 year old mansion in Bardstown is a great place for viewing bright fall foliage in stunning hues. The tour of the Old Kentucky Home is a fascinating history lesson filled with intrigue and interesting tidbits about times of yore.
- Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest: This is one of the absolute best places to take in the Kentucky fall foliage this autumn. The 16,000 plus acres of this protected land has more than 8,000 varieties of trees, shrubs, and perennials. With 40 miles of trails weaving through the diverse forests and fantastical art installations, you could spend a full day exploring nature here.
- Wine or Beer Tasting in the Countryside: Another way to take in the stunning fall foliage is on a scenic drive out to one of our many wineries or breweries in the Kentucky countryside. Though we drink a lot of bourbon here, that doesn’t mean we don’t partake in a bottle of wine or a pint of craft beer now and again. Check out our list of local Bardstown wineries and breweries, here.
- Day at the Bourbon Manor Spa: One of the best things to do in Bardstown is book a service (or two) at our Bourbon Manor Spa. You’ll find massage, facials, and lovely products to make your stay that much more relaxing. It’s especially cozy in the fall—a fluffy robe, Swedish massage, soak in a hot bath, and then end the day by a warm fire in your guest room.
Soak up the Luxury at our Bardstown Bed and Breakfast
Our historical Greek Revival-style mansion may have been built in the early 1800s, but over the years our Inn has received modern updates and restored for an immaculate stay. We’ve meticulously maintained the old world charm, while adding upscale and luxurious amenities. It’s no wonder the Bourbon Manor Bed and Breakfast is often recognized as one of the most romantic places to stay in Bardstown!
Join us each morning in our elegant dining room for a full, gourmet country breakfast. We use Kentucky Proud and locally grown ingredients whenever possible in our scratch made muffins, soufflé pancakes, signature egg dishes, and cheesy hash brown casserole. We also offer a continental breakfast for those who may enjoy a day sleeping in late. We can’t wait to host you; book your suite today!